Unlike any other residence, we ensure that our freshmen are prepared for everything and anything the year has to offer. In doing so we have compiled a list of items that we think could be most useful for your stay at your new home away from home. Items in bold would be a necessity while all other items are just possible ideas of things that one could bring along.
What to bring:
- Two padlocks (28mm in diameter)
- 2x Passport Photos
- Proof of Residence Acceptance
- Extra Cash (For Memorabilia + O-Week Events)
- Toiletries and Suncream
- Washing Powder/Liquid
- Linen (Bed Linen and Shower Towel)
- Suit ( Preferably jacket and pants)
- Smart Dress Shoes (To accompany your suit)
- Formal shirts
- Sleeping Bag (For the camp)
- Desk Lamp
- Musical instrument
- Glasses (For Drinks)
- Small Bar Fridge
What not to bring:
- An attitude of superiority; all Smutsmen are your equals and you will treat one another as you would a brother
- Bigoted ideas that you may have picked up along the winding, treacherous road of life thus far
- Anything that you wouldn’t want to have to move from your room to storage twice a year (very large, heavy objects)
In addition to these items, the most important things to bring would be an open mind and ‘GEES’. With a positive attitude, and the atmosphere in Smuts Hall Residence, you will quickly learn why it has continued to produce the most outstanding individuals in society.
The residence is a catering residence and freshmen have the option of choosing various different meal options. Students are permitted to bring small bar fridges, however, caution must be given to students who bring their own fridges, as no storage of fridges is allowed in the residence during vacations. This is a university policy and is strictly adhered to.
Each room is equipped with a bed, mattress, pin-board, study desk, desk chair and a cupboard. No further furniture is needed. It is important to note that at least two locks with a shank size of about 28mm are needed upon arrival for freshmen.
Please note that pets are not permitted in Smuts Hall.
Smuts Hall has communal laundry facilities (Washers and Dryers) that can be used free of charge. Smuts also has an academic study room, piano, tuck-shop and pub. Communal microwaves are available in each flat, but all other catering is provided by the residence.